ERCS Privacy Notice
The Environmental Rights Centre for Scotland (ERCS) is committed to processing and protecting personal information securely.
This Privacy Notice explains how and why we collect and use personal information during and after you contact us or access our services.
ERCS is registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (www.ico.org.uk). Our reference number on the UK Data Protection Register is ZA776371, Tier 1. The Chief Officer (see below for contact details) is the Data Protection Officer.
The type of personal information we collect
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. For example: name, address, email address and telephone numbers.
Who the information is about
We process personal information about:
- members and subscribers
- enquirers to our advice service
- individuals and organisations signing up to an e-action/petition
- anyone who may contact us or supply their personal information to us (e.g. via email, our website, phone)
- event attendees
- representatives of other organisations, including funders
- those from whom we obtain goods and services.
How we get the personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we collect is provided directly by you from the following sources:
- personal details (name, address, email address, telephone numbers) that you provide to us directly or by filling in forms on our website
- correspondence with you either via email or telephone
- any information you choose to send us via email
- membership or subscriber details you give us
- business details such as job title, email address and organisation details
- financial details through donations or transactions of goods and services
- visual images when permission is given to take photographs at events.
We also receive personal information indirectly from the following sources:
- details of your visits to our website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs, and the resources that you access (see the Cookies section below for more information on this).
Our lawful bases for processing your personal information
We will only process your personal information where we have a lawful basis to do so. We will only use personal information for one of the following reasons:
- administer the details of e-action/petition participants, those signed up to our mailing list and our members with consent*.
- provide you with advice, assistance and representation as part of our contractual obligation* with you
- improve our services and pursue our Charitable Purposes to advance the human right to live in a healthy environment as part of our legitimate interests*
- fundraise and promote the interests of the charity, including using anonymised data for research and advocacy as part of our legitimate interests*
- manage our employees and volunteers as part of our contractual obligation*
- maintain our own accounts and records of the transaction of goods and services and other business information as part of our legitimate interests* and any legal obligations*
*These are the lawful bases on which we are processing your data.
How we collect and store your personal information
Any member of the ERCS staff team may collect your personal data during the course of their work and via interactions with members, subscribers, enquirers, events attendees, representatives of other organisations and suppliers of goods and services.
All personal information we retain is securely stored on the cloud using Office 365 and/or our WordPress website with personalized log-in and password protection for each staff member. Both our WordPress website hosted by GreenNet (see https://www.greennet.org.uk/internet-services/web) and Office 365 store their files within data servers in the UK.
Where you have provided consent* to use your personal data, you also have the right to withdraw that consent at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be aware that data transmission over the internet is inherently insecure and we cannot guarantee the security of data sent over the internet.
How long we keep your personal information
We will not keep your personal data for any longer than is reasonably necessary. We have a record retention schedule that sets out the periods for retaining and reviewing all information, which is available on request. All data will be securely destroyed or disposed of once it is no longer needed.
ERCS mailing list
If you have signed up to receive regular e-updates from us, your email address may be processed via Sendinblue (https://www.sendinblue.com/legal/termsofuse/) in order to maintain your subscription on our mailing list. Your information will not be used for any other purposes and will not be shared with any external organisations.
You can unsubscribe from our mailing list or update your information whenever you wish by clicking an unsubscribe link in any of our emails or by emailing email@example.com.
How we use your information
We may use information held on you in the following ways:
- to contact you to provide you with information or services that you request from us
- to send you our regular e-bulletins and other electronic communications
- to ask for your opinion or input into various pieces of ERCS’s work
- to ensure the content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for your computer
- ERCS members only – to ask you to nominate and/or vote on constitutional issues, seek financial contributions, participate in ERCS’s surveys.
Enquiries to our advice service
As part of our advice service, we ask for your permission to collect and use your personal information to help solve your enquiry and improve our services.
We only ask for the information we need. We will always let you decide what you are comfortable telling us, explain why we need it, and always treat it as confidential.
When we record and use your personal information we:
- only access it when we have a good reason
- only share what is necessary and relevant
- never release or sell it to anyone.
You are able to remove your permission at any time by contacting by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclosing your information
We will never disclose your personal information to anyone outside of ERCS except where we have your consent*, when it is necessary to perform a contractual service* or administer our relationship with you, or to fulfil a legal obligation*.
Cookies when accessing the ERCS website
When you visit our website we use ‘cookies’ to help us understand more about how our site is used by visitors, and to develop our services. A ‘cookie’ is a bit of information kept on your computer. It allows us to monitor how the site is being used.
Our cookies are used to:
- identify unique visitors to our site and the number of visits
- what information is downloaded
- the type of referral used by each visitor to arrive at our site (e.g. via a search engine or email)
- track aspects of user visits, including the length of a user’s visit, their browser, geographic location and the use of the search facility on our website.
The box below pops up at the bottom of the webpage and allows you to opt out of Matomo Analytics cookies. If you use an ad blocker or cookie blocker the box may be empty as you are already automatically opted out.
Third party sites
Your data protection rights
Your rights in relation to your personal data include:
- the right to be informed – we must tell you how we use your data and this is the purpose of this Privacy Notice
- the right of access – you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information we hold on you
- the right to rectification – you have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate and/or to complete information you think is incomplete
- the right to erasure – you have the right to ask us to erase personal information
Please contact us if you wish to make a request by emailing email@example.com. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Or you can write to:
Environmental Rights Centre for Scotland
c/o Scottish Environment LINK
4 Hunter Square
Edinburgh EH11 1QW
If you are unhappy with how we have used your data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk.